Connect with us

Nation

6 killed, 43 wounded in various weekend shootings in Chicago

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 03 08 at 9.35.40 AM

Gun violence in Chicago killed six and wounded 43. Ten victims were only teenagers, and two of them died, according to CBS Chicago. A police officer is also among the wounded.

First to die as a result of gun violence last weekend was an 18-year-old boy at 72nd Place and Jeffery Boulevard. A gunman shot him and another 15-year-old boy in a building. A fight had reportedly broken out after someone arrived home with a pizza. The 15-year-old survived. Then, a female Chicago police officer responding on the scene received a gunshot to the leg. Police suspect that it was the same gunman who shot the teenagers.

However, she was in good enough condition to drive herself to the hospital. She has since returned home to recover. All four people involved in the confrontation were detained by police on the scene.

Next, at about 8:30 PM Saturday, an 18-year-old girl was shot to death while sitting in her own car. Medics were able to attend to her promptly after the shooting. But Mount Sinai Hospital later pronounced her dead.

At 8:20 AM Sunday, crossfire struck a 16-year-old boy. He was taking the trash out at the time.

Read the full article here.

You can follow Jenny Goldsberry on Twitter @jennyjournalism.

You may like

Continue Reading

Featured

Biden frees Venezuelan President Maduro’s drug dealing relatives in prisoner swap

Published

on

Joe Biden

President Biden freed two of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s relatives Saturday in exchange for seven jailed Americans. The two nephews of Maduro’s wife Cilia Flores, had been convicted in the United States for drug dealing and sentenced to 18 years in prison, according to the BBC.

According to the report, the swap was in exchange for five American oil executives. Those Americans were “exchanged for two of Mr Maduro’s wife’s nephews, who were serving 18-year sentences in the US on drug charges,” the officials told the BBC. Maduro’s nephews were convicted under the Trump administration and the Venezuelan government claims that they were “unjustly” jailed in the United States.

In a statement from the White House Saturday, Biden said the American’s were  “wrongfully detained.”  He said the American’s  would soon be reunited with their relatives, according to reports.

“Today, we celebrate that seven families will be whole once more. To all the families who are still suffering and separated from their loved ones who are wrongfully detained – know that we remain dedicated to securing their release,” the Biden statement added.

Meanwhile, 13 Republican members of Congress sent a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, requesting more information on “the intelligence report” that alleges Maduro is emptying his prisons and allowing them to head to the United States in the caravans that crossing the porous border.

The letter states that the report warns Border Patrol agents to be on the look-out for “violent criminals from Venezuela among the migrant caravans heading towards the U.S.-Mexico border.”

“It has been widely reported that the Venezuelan regime, under the control of Nicolás Maduro Moros, is deliberately releasing violent prisoners early, including inmates convicted of ‘murder, rape, and extortion,’ and pushing them to join caravans heading to the United States,” the letter states.

You can follow Sara A. Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC