3 dead, at least 21 injured in Chicago weekend shootings
In a wave of shooting across Chicago over the weekend, three people were killed and at least 21 injured, the Sun-Times Media Wire reported through ABC 7 Chicago on Monday.
This comes after the previous weekend saw an identical fatality and casualty count as a result of shootings across America’s third most populous city. Notably, according to the April 1 crime statistics report from the Chicago Police Department, murders in the first three months of this year rose 33% over the same period last year while shootings increased by 43%.
RELATED: Chicago: 3 dead, at least 21 wounded in weekend shootings
In a Sunday afternoon shooting, a 7-year-old girl was killed and her father, 28, was seriously injured as the pair were getting food at a McDonald’s drive-thru in the Homan Square neighborhood, police said, according to the report.
The girl, Jaslyn Adams, sustained multiple shots and was transported by police officers to Stroger Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, police said.
Her father, Jontae, was struck in the torso and transported to the same hospital, where his condition was listed as serious, police said.
Police, according to the report, said the shooting was thought to be gang-related. Less than three hours later, two individuals were shot in their car at a Popeyes in Humboldt Park, which investigators reportedly believe is linked to the McDonald’s shooting.
Another fatality in Chicago this weekend occurred in Austin on the West Side Sunday night, when a man was fatally shot and another was wounded.
The two men were standing on a sidewalk that night when a male in a silver SUV opened fire on the pair, police said.
One man, 43, sustained a gunshot to the chest and was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said. The Cook County medical examiner’s office, according to the report, has yet to name the man.
The other man, 22, was shot in his right leg and taken to Mt. Sinai in good condition, police said.
The final fatality from this past weekend’s Chicago shootings occurred Friday evening, when a person entered a Lawndale business and started unleashing gunfire, police said.
A man, 18, was shot in the chest and face and taken to Mt. Sinai, where he was pronounced dead, police said. The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified him as Jawon L. Ward.
A woman, 44, was struck in the shoulder and back and was transported in good condition to Mt. Sinai, police said.
To learn more about the shootings, click here to read the full report on ABC 7’s website.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @DouglasPBraff.
You may like
New York City Mayor Eric Adams Proposes Housing Asylum Seekers in Private Homes
New York City Mayor Eric Adams has unveiled a new plan to potentially place thousands of asylum seekers in private residences while compensating local homeowners and landlords.
During a City Hall press conference, Mayor Adams expressed his vision to move beyond housing single migrant men in churches and mosques and explore the option of utilizing private dwellings.
Adams emphasized the potential savings that could be achieved by redirecting the estimated $4.3 billion budget for housing the influx of migrants into everyday houses of worship and private residences, rather than corporate entities. The mayor suggested that recycling local dollars would benefit both the city and its residents.
According to reports from the New York Post, Adams said, “It is my vision to take the next step to this faith-based locales and then move to a private residence.”
“We can take that $4.2 billion — $4.3 [billion] maybe now — that we anticipate we have to spend and we can put it back in the pockets of everyday, everyday houses of worship instead of putting it in the pockets of corporations.”
“We should be recycling our own dollars,” he continued.
Acknowledging potential obstacles, Adams alluded to a “30-day rule” that City Hall would need to overcome. However, he did not provide further details on the rule or the aspects of implementing the plan.
With over 72,000 individuals having arrived in New York City since last spring, the mayor stressed the urgency of finding sustainable housing solutions beyond taxpayer-funded emergency shelters and hotels. The current system, which accommodates approximately 45,000 people, is deemed unsustainable given the continuous influx of migrants.
Adams indicated that the city would seek ways to bypass existing government regulations that prohibit housing homeless individuals in private homes. Additionally, City Hall aims to work with the state legislature to facilitate agreements that bring illegal basement apartments up to code, presenting a more affordable and viable housing alternative.
The estimated cost of the ongoing crisis is expected to exceed the current $4.3 billion budget, particularly as daily arrivals continue to increase. Last week alone, the city registered 2,200 new arrivals. To address cost concerns, Adams’ proposal to house asylum seekers in houses of worship is projected to cost approximately $125 per night, significantly less than the current expenditure of $380 per night in converted hotels.
Mayor Adams’ plan to utilize private residences represents a significant development in New York City’s efforts to address the housing needs of asylum seekers. However, the feasibility and implementation of this proposal, including overcoming legal and logistical challenges, remain to be seen.
Follow Alexander Carter on Twitter @AlexCarterDC for more!
You may like
Podcast6 days ago
Beyond the Border: Migration Is Being Weaponized to Control Us
Featured4 days ago
DHS Alert: suspected terrorist on southwest border poses ‘imminent’ national security threat to U.S.
Healthcare5 days ago
Oklahoma Mother Sues School District After Alleged Assault by Trans Student
National Security6 days ago
Ten cartel members killed, cops injured, in Mexico border state shootout