Connect with us

International

2 Killed, 10 Injured by Taliban Gunmen at Afghanistan Wedding to Stop Music

Music was banned when the Taliban ruled the country from 1996 to 2001

Published

on

Taliban

Three Taliban gunmen raided a wedding in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least two people and injuring 10 others. Allegedly the deadly attack was to stop music from being played. A Taliban spokesman said two of the three gunmen had been arrested, but denied they had acted on behalf of the Islamist movement.

Although the Taliban has not yet officially issued the music decree since the United States left Afghanistan in August leaving the Taliban back in power, it is largely understood that Taliban control means music is banned. The Taliban originally implemented the rule in 1996 until 2001 when U.S. troops and allies took control from the Taliban.

One eyewitness told the BBC that four couples were getting married during a joint wedding in Surkh Rod district in the province of Nangarhar on Friday. The BBC reported they had taken permission from a local Taliban leader to play recorded music in an area used only by the women.

During late-night hours, gunmen “forced their way inside and tried to smash the loudspeakers. When the guests protested, the armed men opened fire” reports the BBC. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claims the incident is under investigation.

Many musicians immediately fled Afghanistan as the Taliban returned to power. The Taliban has already been accused of murdering a folk singer and destroying musical instruments. The Taliban is known for its militant interpretation of Islamic Law and has been deemed a terrorist organization.

Since the Biden administration left Afghanistan, the Taliban has been publicly making strategic moves to appear to be more moderate as it looks for international recognition. The Taliban has created a government with Mujahid as the spokesman and claims to be willing to engage in talks with the United States, the United Nations, and other nations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Palestinians in Gaza stealing food aid before it can be delivered, ‘nothing getting through’

Published

on

GettyImages 2153003606 scaled

The United Nations has proven to be incredibly trustworthy and bias against Israel as it fights for its survival against Hamas. Senior U.N. aid official Edem Wosornu said there were “insufficient supplies and fuel to provide any meaningful level of support to the people of Gaza as they endure Israel’s military onslaught against Hamas militants.”

However, food and medicine for Palestinians in Gaza are piling up in Egypt because the Rafah crossing remains closed and there has been no aid delivered to a U.N. warehouse from a U.S.-built pier for two days, reports Reuters.

National Review explains the issue: the food aid is getting stolen before it can reach the World Food Program warehouse . . . just eight miles away. Once the food aid leaves the pier, the United Nations, international partners, and the “humanitarian community” oversee getting the aid to those who need it most. And they’re getting robbed, hijacked, and mugged.

The Gaza Pier is complete and operational, which is what the Biden administration wanted, allowing for headlines such as: “U.S. military starts delivering aid to Gaza through floating pier” this past weekend. However, “what you’re not as likely to hear about is what happens to the aid after it leaves the pier” writes National Review.

Apparently some Palestinians stole so much of the aid from the first shipments that the following shipments are on hold until authorities can find enough security.

Reuters tells the grim tale:

Aid deliveries began arriving at a U.S.-built pier on Friday as Israel comes under growing global pressure to allow more supplies into the besieged coastal enclave. The U.N. agreed to assist in coordinating aid distribution from the floating pier, but has remained adamant that deliveries by land are the best way to combat the crisis.

The U.N. said that 10 truckloads of food aid – transported from the pier site by U.N. contractors – were received on Friday at a World Food Program warehouse in Deir El Balah in Gaza.

But on Saturday, only five truckloads made it to the warehouse after 11 others were cleaned out by Palestinians during the journey through an area that a U.N. official said has been hard to access with humanitarian aid. [Emphasis added.]

“They’ve not seen trucks for a while,” a U.N. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters. “They just basically mounted on the trucks and helped themselves to some of the food parcels.”

The U.N. did not receive any aid from the pier on Sunday or Monday. “We need to make sure that the necessary security and logistical arrangements are in place before we proceed,” said the U.N. official.

In summation, Palestinians in Gaza stole the food parcels before they could be distributed at the intended destination, and nothing’s gotten through since Saturday.
Continue Reading

Trending