Connect with us

Elections

1,000 People Double-Voted In June Georgia Primary

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 08 04 at 4.01.15 PM

An announcement by the Georgia secretary of state confirms the fears of many across the nation about election integrity. 1,000 voters in a recent heated state election double-voted, meaning they likely mailed in their ballots and showed up to polling places as well.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced Tuesday that around one thousand voters are being investigated for double-voting in the state’s June 9 primary.

As reported by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, these voters are facing a felony if charged, while Democrat-affiliated groups are claiming the state should not punish these voters.

“A double-voter knows exactly what they’re doing, diluting the votes of each and every voter that follows the law,” Raffensperger said during a press conference and reported by the AJC. “Those that make the choice to game the system are breaking the law. And as secretary of state, I will not tolerate it.”

While Raffensperger is cracking down on the election fraud—notably this election had record number of absentee ballots casted—some groups are standing against the cracking down on blatant voter fraud.

Aklima Khondoker, Georgia director for All Voting is Local, an organization that works to increase absentee ballot drop boxes said the state should not seek charges because “Voters are not criminal.”

“They only did what they thought was right to make sure their vote was counted,” she said.

If found guilty of double-voting, an individual can face one to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $100,000. The Secretary of State said charges or other further action will be determined on an individual basis.

While some argue that it was confusing for voters to know if their absentee ballots had been counted, Raffensperger says voters knew what they were doing when they voted twice and he will not allow this to happen.

Continue Reading

Elections

BREAKING: IL judge orders state election board to remove Trump from primary ballot

Published

on

Screen Shot 2023 08 25 at 9.30.14 AM

Cook County Judge Tracie Porter issued a lengthy ruling Wednesday which orders the state election board to remove former President Donald Trump from the Illinois primary ballot on March 19. Porter wrote Trump is disqualified from the presidency due to his actions relating to the January 6, 2021 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

Porter said she was aware her “decision could not be the ultimate outcome,” given that higher courts will have a chance to weigh in; she also put her order on hold until Friday in anticipation of an appeal.

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the State Board of Elections voted unanimously last month to reject the same bid to block Trump from Illinois’ ballot under the 14th Amendment. But Porter found the board’s decision to be “clearly erroneous.”

The 14th Amendment bars from “any office, civil or military, under the United States” anyone who previously took an oath as an “officer of the United States” to support the Constitution but then engaged in “insurrection or rebellion.”

Trump’s lawyers have told the U.S. Supreme Court the amendment doesn’t apply because the president is not an “officer of the United States” under the Constitution and because he did not engage in “anything that qualifies as ‘insurrection.’”

According to the Chicago Sun Times, the “U.S. Supreme Court is poised to rule on the controversy soon — and appeared skeptical of the arguments to kick Trump off Colorado’s ballot. The clock is ticking on the nation’s high court given that Colorado’s primary election is Tuesday.” Porter also said her order would be put on hold if the Supreme court’s ruling is ultimately “inconsistent” with hers.

Continue Reading

Trending